Peanut Barker Pancakes
Weekend breakfast/brunch is all about good food. But nothing sums up Sunday morning better than a nice stack of syrup drenched pancakes. But as you sit there putting yourself into a food coma for the rest of the day, your pupper is sitting there looking at you thinking "Dude...what about me?". So instead of trying to pretend you don't see those sad looking eyes, we got you covered with our dog-friendly, Peanut Barker Pancake Recipaw!
We made sure to use ingredients that are healthy and good for your dog. Ingredients like flaxseed, kefir, and coconut oil. Flaxseed is a great source of Omega-3s, and fiber. It's best to use whole flaxseeds and grind them as you need them. Kefir is a powerful probiotic which is great for helping your dog maintain a healthy gut. It also contains vitamins, calcium, magnesium, phosporus and beneficial yeasts that are great for dogs that get ear or skin infections. You can also substitute with yogurt if you don't have kefir available. Of course if your dog has issues with lactose, you can always find non-dairy kefirs, or substitute with almond milk. Your pancakes may not rise as much though. You should try adding some to your dog's food every day as well! And coconut oil is a great additive to help their coat and skin and even your pup's immune and digestive systems.
The recipe calls for whole wheat flour but feel free to substitute for a gluten-free mix as well. And try not to over mix your batter or it'll become a gluteny mess. Yes. Gluteny. Your dog won't mind, but it makes it easier for you to work with a non-gluteny mess.
And feel free to use some cute dog bone or other cookie cutters to mold your pancakes. Just be sure to use metal ones, and don't try touching them with your hand after they've been in the pan...trust me on this one.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free substitute
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 cup Kefir, yogurt, or fermented goat milk
- 1/4 cup Peanut Barker - Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (and more for the pan)
- Mix together flour, flaxseed, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg together with the kefir, Peanut Barker, and coconut oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mix. Stir together well but do not over stir. Some lumps are fine. Just make sure the ingredients are well combined.
- Heat some coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. When heated, pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan in a round pancake shape. Or if using cookie cutters, place the cutter into the pan and pour the batter directly into the cutter.
- Once the edges start to look dry and bubbles appear on the top (the bottom should be nice and golden brown), flip the pancake over and cook until done. About another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
- Watch their happy faces of joy!
Give this a try and let us know in the comments below how it came out! Don't forget to tag us in your posts of your dog loving these pancakes: @PeanutBarkerOfficial.